As I watch the Republican Evangelical attack on women’s rights as they continue their relentless War on Women, I can’t help asking myself:
What could cause one of the two major U.S. political parties to campaign for, pass and implement laws that are a blatant assault on half of the American population?
The answer is religion, of course.
Religion is usually the culprit behind most of the world’s atrocities from the earliest dawn of society. At its very core, organized religion is nothing more than a means of mass population control.
My research led me to the “Proverbs 31 Wife” movement.
Using Proverbs 31, the American ‘christian’ evangelical movement created a nifty little 10 step blueprint to create obedient Stepford Wives :
10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman:
1. Faith – A Virtuous Woman serves God with all of her heart, mind and soul. She seeks His will for her life and follows His ways.
2. Marriage – A Virtuous Woman respects her husband. She does him good all the days of her life. She is trustworthy and a helpmeet. (Helper or companion)
3. Mothering – A Virtuous Woman teaches her children the ways of her Father in heaven. She nurtures her children with the love of Christ, disciplines them with care and wisdom, and trains them in the way they should go.
4. Health – A Virtuous Woman cares for her body. She prepares healthy food for her family.
5. Service – A Virtuous Woman serves her husband, her family, her friends and her neighbors with a gentle and loving spirit. She is charitable.
6. Finances – A Virtuous Woman seeks her husband’s approval before making purchases and spends money wisely. She is careful to purchase quality items which her family needs.
8. Homemaking – A Virtuous Woman is a homemaker. She creates an inviting atmosphere of warmth and love for her family and guests. She uses hospitality to minister to those around her.
9. Time – A Virtuous Woman uses her time wisely. She works diligently to complete her daily tasks. She does not spend time dwelling on those things that do not please the Lord.
10. Beauty – A Virtuous Woman is a woman of worth and beauty. She has the inner beauty that only comes from Christ. She uses her creativity and sense of style to create beauty in her life and the lives of her loved ones.
But, as you scroll further down that list you realize the real takeaway messages that the “Virtuous Proverbs 31 Woman” had best remember are:
- Serve your man
- Stay in the kitchen
- Don’t get fat
- Do what you’re told
- Do it with a Smile
Or else God will send you to Hell or something.
I suggest visiting The Stepford Wives Organization if you enjoy wonderfully written satire.
What do you think? Are Proverbs 31 Women modern-day Stepford wives or the simply virtuous Christian role models for women? Let us know in the comments below.